Translate

Thursday, July 18, 2013

Our Saturday Adventure (Adventure 6)

Though taking my brompton up the two highest points in Barcelona had been a goal for a few months it only worked out this past Saturday.  Perhaps it was my excitement of sharing the news of Wafa'as candles, perhaps it was my thoughts drifting to those in Bosnia and Herzegovina, and perhaps it was a little bit of perfect timing.

Sitting outside sipping our coffee we couldn't help but notice thatthe sweaty weather made for an ideal beach Saturday.  Heading home to pick up our bikes with the intention of a day at the beach, we re routed to a local bike shop to add air to our tires.  Somehow we ended bicycling up towards our friends Lebanese restaurant for lunch instead of down towards the cool breeze of the beach.

Mid way through lunch Walid, an avid cyclist and brompton enthusiast, suggested biking up Mount Tibidabo.  I had completed my first personal training session the day before and I was so sore!  I agreed, and quickly posted the update to the blog to be sure that I would follow through.

Heading up towards Tibidabo we absorbed the heat radiating from the sun and back off the pavement.   We soon drifted above city traffic and on to the 6km road that leads to the top of the highest peak of Barcelona, Mount Tibidabo.  Biking and huffing up we were passed by tour buses and mopeds, zipping to the top for the stunning views of Barcelona.  Though I have been up Tibidabo multiple times, running portions even, I had never completed the full climb by bike.  I have to admit arriving was a great feeling!  As we sat sipping our sparkling water admiring the views of Barcelona I noticed I was caked in salt.  Heading down as the sun lowered was refreshing and delightful.  We coasted down back towards the Eixample where we live, indulging in a fresh lemonade at our friends bar on the way.

Arriving home we rehydrated while waiting for the sun to drop a little before collecting our furry companion and heading up Montjuic, the second highest peak in Barcelona.  We reached the peak just after sunset, listening to fireworks explode below.  We enjoyed the coolness of the city as night crept in.

Descending towards the sea felt great!  We passed by the famed Christopher Columbus statue at the end of the Ramblas before peddling up, passing the night performers, boqueria market, and tourists in search of sangria and tapas.

Arriving to our house I felt tired!  Walid reported we had ridden over 40km on our bikes that day, climbing over 400 meters!  This was a great adventure and certainly one I would suggest to anyone when in Barcelona.  It is so fun to create adventures where you live, and in so doing you inevitably discover new things.

 Have you created an adventure where you live?  I would love to hear about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment