Translate

Monday, July 1, 2013

Independence Day in America


"Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom." -Albert Einstein

This week as my american friends and family prepare to celebrate the 4th of July, also known as Independence day, I've had a lingering feeling noting that so many in our world don't experience this freedom.  

Then I am drawn to the work Women for Women does, creating safe educational spaces, and at the end of the day, an additional community for Women who have not been as lucky as many of us are, to experience the freedoms which we enjoy.  (And I will admit I am guilty of taking it for granted)  

“In the nineteenth century, the central moral challenge was slavery. In the twentieth century, it was the battle against totalitarianism. We believe that in this century the paramount moral challenge will be the struggle for gender equality around the world.”
― Nicholas D. KristofHalf the Sky: Turning Oppression into Opportunity for Women Worldwide


As we are reading Half the Sky: Turning Oppression into Opportunity for Women Worldwide by Nicholas Kristof for our virtual book club, I found myself lingering over paragraphs and lines from the book which oozes information about the oppression of women.  (And what you can do to help)

“Our focus has to be on changing reality, not changing laws.”
― Sheryl WuDunnHalf the Sky: Turning Oppression into Opportunity for Women Worldwide


I have been working to raise awareness through my adventures this year.  With the help of a few "sponsors" I've also raised a bit of extra money for my ongoing efforts.  

Though a marathon, or 1/2 IronMan may not seem accessible to you there is still so much you can do.  

If you haven't sponsored a sister and are interested to do so click here.  I have had wonderful letters between my past sister in Rwanda and now my current.  A good friend of mine is in touch with her sister in Kosovo.  It is rewarding to hear first hand how your money is helping.  
For me, the $30.00/month payment came from the elimination of my cute Starbucks drinks.  (Which for philanthropic reasons or not, was probably for the best anyway)

Have you already sponsored a sister and would like to do more?  A few suggestions, some of which I have experience, some of which I do not. 

Plan a fundraising event:

Do you like to throw parties?  Wine tastings?  Book clubs?  Film Screening?  Athletic events?  

Throw a party to raise funds and awareness for WFWI.  Last year in NYC we used our restaurant,  and our friends generously contributed to our silent auction.  We had sponsorship forms available along with information for anyone interested in doing more.  

I hope to plan a wine tasting event in the garden of our flat in Barcelona, but really, wine can be enjoyed ANYWHERE!  Ask your local liquor store if they would be interested to selling a case at a reduced rate.  Sell the bottles from your wine tasting afterwards and send the proceeds to WFWI.  (This can be done with a large group, intimate group, and array of wines that fit every budget.  I imagine it could be done with beer as well!  Why not drink for a cause??

We have our virtual book club, now reading Half the Sky, but if you are in a real book club suggest to read Half the Sky by Nicholas Kristof or Between Two Worlds by WFWI founder Zainab Salbi.  You will have a lot to talk about, and who knows-maybe you will hatch an idea of your own.  

Are you involved in your local film community?  Host a screening of the work WFWI does.  (They can send you the DVD)

Search for a WFWI athletic event near you.  
On July 7th in Bosnia and Herzegovina you can join the March of Peace and go with Women for Women International, not only to march, but to see the work that they do and how much it helps these women and their families.  
On July 13 in Casper, Wyoming you can Run for Congo. 
On October 6th in Regents Park, London UK, run with My Step her Stride.  
On October 14 in Boston, Ma you can Run for Congo Women with Tufts Health Plan 10k for Women.  

If you are feeling ambitious you can plan a walk or run in your community-big or small every effort helps.  

I will be embarking on my 6th adventure this 4th of July-biking up the 2 highest mountains in Barcelona .  I will scout them earlier but I hope to do it on my delightful little brompton.  If you are in the area and would love to join me leave a comment and I will be in touch!  

Wishing all Americans a happy and safe 4th of July, and if you are interested see below for a few photos from our party last August.  




A beautiful necklace was donated by Emilie Jean of Emilie Jean Ethnic Antiques in the East Village.  









 We sold shirts and bangles made for WFWI.  Proceeds from the sales went to WFWI.







Tarajia Morrell of The Lovage donated a home cooked meal for 4.  








Spa Gift Certificate


Bidding frenzy.  


My youngest sister Allyson and her friend Zuleima came down as volunteers. 









Krista and Dave of Boston Street Style generously helped in designing the invitation and website.  









No comments:

Post a Comment