Translate

Monday, April 1, 2013

Monday Guest Post from Mike Kristofik! (on his 1 week Iron Man)

I like to exercise. I like to sweat. I like to stay healthy.  So when a friend introduced me to triathlons years ago, I was lucky to find all three things I like into ONE place---triathlons.

Now some of you out there are über fit and have done the real deal, the full ironman triathlon. 
And some of you may be couch potatoes just thinking about an exercise program.
And some are probably in between those two.

No matter where you are on the exercise and fitness spectrum, you CAN do an ironman!

Lets review.  Triathlons are swim,bike,run programs.  Because you must train  for three different events, the advantage of less boredom with workouts, and less injuries to your body becomes a big advantage. When your legs are beat up from a long run or bike, rest and recover with a swim the next day . When pool boredom sets in, go biking or running. You get the idea.

Most triathletes start(wisely ) with a sprint or short course triathlon. Usually a 1/4 mile swim, 12 mile bike, and a 3 mile run.    Roughly, if you double those distances, you have an Olympic distance triathlon, and double again you have half ironman, and when you double that you have the full ironman , 2.4 mile swim, 112 bike, 26.2 run, And that adds up to 140.6 miles. 

So recently when I was growing a it bored with my winter workouts, I decided to motivate myself with a weeklong ironman. Last Friday, as I sat spinning indoors on my bike, I had the thought, before the week was over, I wanted to ride 112 miles.  As I often used to run 20-30 miles per week, a marathon in a week seemed reasonable. And finally, I try to swim 1-2 times per week, again, covering 1-2 miles per session.   

So do the math, it is a fairly attainable goal if you go the the gym and have pool access. The daily recommended dose for each ,if done over seven days would be, 16 miles of biking, about 3.5 miles of running, and about 1/3 mile swimming.

If you are a beginner and need to stretch it over two weeks,or even a month, so what! Go for it, cover that 140.2 miles then report back.   To those über fit, shorten up the time frame,maybe 5 days) . I can picture doing this really, in 2 or 3 days over a long weekend.  I have done indoor century rides on a Saturday morning, from 5 am to noon, with a few good James Bond movies or something to watch and entertain!   Running two half marathons in a weekend is not  unheard of , so squeeze in some pool time and an ironman weekend could just happen.

But the challenge is for ALL.  I really would like some beginners to cover the distance whether it be a month or so, to get a taste for the sport. Then ,who knows, maybe someday, you'll find the willpower and determination to put them together into a 17 hour day, and you too, can be an official "ironman".  Ya gotta start somewhere!

In addition to my reporting on "ironman in a week", and encouraging others to try it, I simply wanted to add this:   Exercise for itself is great. Keeps you health and feeling good. But combined with fundraising for any good cause, even better.   Examples are easy to find! Walid (Colleens husband, my Son in Law) raised over $5000 for Alzheimer's research with Athletes to End Alzheimer's for an Ironman he did this summer, yWhen Colleen was 14 together we raised $6000 for Team in Training with the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society.
(by the way, our "honored patient" who we ran for when he was 5 years old with leukemia, is considered a full recovery, now looking at colleges for computer network security.) Nice to think our running the Disney half marathon and fundraising helped a little bit there, gave hope and health to this little guy ,who got a chance to become a big guy!

So that's another BENEFIT from exercising, personal goals and fundraising goals, can actually be fun! Like running up to the top of the Rock for MS which I did last year with another daughter and her boyfriend, what a thigh burning, lung splitting blast we had !

So it is good to see great organizations like Eric Stewart with Viridian energy , and John Meadow of LDV Hospitality supporting your my daughter Colleen, her 12 adventures, and Women for Women International.   


 And what better way to carbo-load than with a delicious ,award winning spaghetti at LDV managed, owned by Walid SCARPETTA NYC. (A huge supporter of Colleen, through Scarpetta and in being a great husband)  Good exercise sessions deserve Great food!   If I lived in NYC I think I'd eat there every night! 

GOOD LUCK, train slow, steady and smart! Stay healthy!    MIke Kristofik
Family portrait.  (From Right to left)
Me, Mike Kristofik, Allyson Kristofik (training to run a 1/2 marathon and working to open a Women for Women Campus chapter at St. Michaels University), Lisa Kristofik (Ran up Rockefellar center fundraising to find a cure for MS), Michelle Kristofik (works for Americorp & playworks, in training for the 3 day Susan Koman Walk to end Breast Cancer this June) Kathy Kristofik (my wife and supporter of all!)  Colleen Abuhaidar who I am guest posting for, and her husband Walid who fundraises for Athletes to End Alzeeimer's.
Also featured Pepi the Papillon (Colleens frequently blogged dog and Hershey the family poodle who went to his happy hunting grounds shortly after this photo)

No comments:

Post a Comment